EditThis.info has long been overdue for an upgrade. I've been postponing it for a while, and now that I have just finished a big move, a wedding, and a honeymoon in Disney (covid be damned), I am circling back on it.
Task list (this article will be updated as things are completed):
- Clone current server instance
- Remove cloudfront - it constantly causes problems, and I think it is blocking a lot of users worldwide that it considers "malicious"
- Set dev.editthis.info to new server instance
- Add nginx with caching (this will hopefully fulfill the role of cloudflare better as I can customize it as needed)
- upgrade php
- upgrade mediawiki
- Convert an absurd of dbs to the new mediawiki db structure
- Point editthis.info to new server
Along the way I expect a lot of hick-ups and course corrections, but EDI is a very active site despite it's poor network performance. I think it is reasonable to expect that with a bit of an overhaul I can achieve a 10x increase in usage, which would make it much more lively than it is now.
Screenshot showing how much cloudflare is blocking (basically a count of failed or skipped annoying captchas):