My vive has died in all the ways:
- One lighthouse got so bad that if you faced it, it would totally lose tracking
- The audiostrap headset snapped
- The display often messed up and showed two images on one eye
- One of the controller trackpads would not click anymore
- And finally: The screen just goes black after about a minute of use. I tried a different hdmi cable and that didn't fix it.
I was reading a review that the new Vive that uses inside out tracking was performing very poorly regarding tracking, so won't be buying that as a replacement, and the Valve index is way too pricey.
So, it looks like the Quest is the machine I will be going with. This is nice, as I was never a fan of the cables attached to your head, and with Vridge those PC games supposedly can be streamed to the quest. This is great because I have bought a ton of VR games on steam, and have plenty more in my wishlist.
Perhaps getting back into VR development again would be fun too. Maybe git back to making a VR swordfighting game.